Achievements 2020 – 2021
Due to the impact of COVID-19, some national and international competitions were cancelled in 2020-2021. The following are the results of some competitions from 2020 to 2021.
*US and UK University Acceptance, click here
*Physics Competitions, click here
*Biology Competitions, click here
*Debate Competitions, click here
*Private School Application, click here
*Mathematics Competitions, click here
*Computer Science Competitions, click here
*Chemistry Competitions, click here
*Michael Smith Science Contest, click here
*Writing Competitions, click here
US and UK University Acceptance
In 2021, more than 11 students from Olympiads School have been accepted into elite US and UK universities. Below is the admission for some of the students:
- Harvard University: Eric Shen
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT): Thomas Guo
- Carnegie Mellon University: Cindy Zhu
- University of California, Los Angeles: Matthew Ganesh
- Duke University: Sophia Li
- Johns Hopkins University: Hannah Fu
- New York University (Tisch School of the Arts): Tianhao Pei
- University of California, Berkeley: Aditya Ohri
- University of Oxford: Gaby Lin
- Harvard University (Graduate School): Ruby Zhang
- Harvard University (Law School): Jeffrey Jiang
1) International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)
In 2021, two students from Olympiads school, Thomas Guo and Eric Shen, were selected for the 6-member national team that represented Canada in the IMO and received a Gold Medal.
2) Canadian Mathematical Olympiad (CMO)
In 2021, two students from Olympiad School were in the top three. They were Thomas Guo and Eric Shen. Both students received second place with $1000 prize.
3) Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge (COMC)
In 2020, about 32 students from Olympiads School have received Honourable Mentions for their excellent performance. They have qualified for CMO, CJMO, or the Repêchage. They were Eric Shen, Thomas Guo, Daniel Yang, Andrew Dong, James Yang, Kaiwen Yang, Joshua Scripcaru, Kristopher Zhao, Evelina Zheng, Christopher Trevisan, Kaixin Wang, Cindy Zhu, Meggie Pang, Emily Liu, Emily Ma, Emma Tang, Miranda Zhao, Harry Chen, Bill Gan, Aaron Ma, Om Patel, Bert Sun, Wangshu Jiang, Dron Hazra, Jerry Wang, Joey Zou, Hao Cui, William Dai, Michael Lee, Richard Zhang, Edward Xiao.
4) Canadian Junior Mathematical Olympiad (CJMO)
In 2021, three students from Olympiads School were in the top five. They were Maggie Pang, Emily Liu, and Richard Zhang. Maggie Pang received first place. Emily Liu and Richard Zhang received Honorable Mentions.
5) Asian Pacific Mathematics Olympiads (APMO)
In the 2021 APMO, a total of ten students from Canada received various honours and four students were from Olympiads School. They were:
- Silver Medal: Eric Shen
- Bronze Medal: Thomas Guo, Kaixin Wang
- Honor Roll: James Yang
6) European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad (EGMO)
Olympiads School student Emma Tang was selected for the national team, which consisted of four students.
7) United States of America Mathematical Olympiad (AIME – USAMO)
In the 2021 AIME, eight students from Olympiads School received Honorable Mentions.
In addition, a total of seven Canadian students qualified for the USAMO and four of them were from Olympiads School. They were Andrew Dong, Daniel Yang, Eric Sheng, Thomas Guo.
8) United States of America Junior Mathematical Olympiad (USAJMO)
In 2021, six Canadian students qualified for the USAJMO and three of them were from Olympiads School. They were Nina Geng, Jason Dong, and William Dai.
9) American Mathematics Competition AMC 10/12
In 2021, about 41 students from Olympiads School qualified for the AIME through AMC 12 A, and about 28 qualified through AMC 12 B.
In addition, about 18 students from Olympiads School qualified for the AIME through AMC10 A, and about 20 qualified through AMC10 B.
10) American Mathematics Competition AMC 8
About 40 students from Olympiads School have received Honor Roll in the AMC 8.
1) International Young Physicists’ Tournament (IYPT)
In the 34th IYPT, the Canadian team consisted of five members and received a team silver medal. The team members were Daniel Yang, Dennis Lu, Tracy Zhang, Olivia Xu, and Xiong Xiong Pei. They have all trained at Olympiads School.
2) International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics (IOAA)
A total of five students from Olympiads School were selected for the 5-member national team and represented Canada in the IOAA. They were Daniel Yang, Hector Chen, Joey Zou, Victor Gao, and Simon Wu. The Canadian team won first place in this year’s competition, with Daniel Yang receiving the gold medal, Joey Zou, Simon Wu and Victor Gao receiving bronze medals.
In the 2021 Canadian National Astronomy Olympiad, a total of 18 students were on the honor roll and 13 students were from Olympiads School. They were Daniel Yang, Emma Yao, Eric Du, Hector Chen, Joey Zou, Rena Liu, Saadurya Pathipan, Simon Wu, Stanley Liu, Sunny Yang, Victor Gao, Zhaohan Sun, Zhaoyan Sun.
3) International Astronomy Olympiad (IAO)
This year, four students from Olympiads School were selected for the 5-member national team to represent Canada in the IAO. They were Sunny Yang, Emma Yao, James Pu, and Debbie Wang.
4) British Physics Olympiad (BPhO)
In the 2020 BPhO, Olympiads School students achieved impressive results, including:
- Top Gold: Ethan Hu, Daniel Yang, Hao Cui, Sunny Yang, Victor Gao
- Gold: Benjamin Dong, Charles Cai, Richard Zhang
- Silver: Vincent Zhou
- Bronze: Tiger Luo, Eric Du, Eric Hu, Hamilton Sun, Simon Wu, Stanley Liu
5) Physics Bowl
In the 2021 Physics Bowl, Olympiads School students achieved outstanding results, including:
- TOP TEN OVERALL DIVISION 1
- Joey Zou (only 1 student from Canada)
- TOP TEN Canada and U.S. DIVISION 1 (3 students from Canada)
- 2nd place: Joey Zou
- 9th place: Connor Wong
- Ontario DIVISION 1 TOP 2 highest scoring students
- Hao Cui
- Ontario DIVISION 2 TOP 3 highest scoring students
- Daniel Yang
- Ethan Hu
- Victor Gao
- Canada DIVISION 1 TOP 2 highest scoring schools (only Ontario was listed from Canada)
- 1st place: Olympiads School
- 2nd place: Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute
- Canada DIVISION 2 TOP 2 highest scoring schools (only Ontario was listed from Canada)
- 1st place: Olympiads School
- 2nd place: Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute
6) OAPT (Physics Competition organized by the Ontario Association of Physics Teachers)
The annual Physics competition organized by OAPT is held in May of each year. This year Olympiads School students achieved the following results:
- Grade 11 Group
Seven students from Olympiads School placed in the top 20, they were Bill Yan, Jiadong Liang, Zhaoyan Sun, Cullen Ye, Rosana Gao, Stanley Liu, and Matthew Li.
- Bill Yan and Jiadong Liang received 1st place,
- Zhaoyan Sun received 4th
- Grade 12 Group
Eight students from Olympiads School placed in the top 20, they were Victor Gao, Daniel Yang, Sunny Yang, Ethan Hu, Alexander Li, Peter Lin, Vivian Huang, and Steven Li. Among them:
- Victor Gao, Daniel Yang, Sunny Yang, and Ethan Hu received 1st place,
- Alexander Li received 5th place,
- Peter Lin received 6th
7) Sir Isaac Newton Exam
The Sir Isaac Newton Exam (or SIN Exam for short) is an annual Physics competition for Grade 12 students hosted by the Physics Department at University of Waterloo.
In 2021, Olympiads School students achieved the following results:
- 1st place: Ruby Sun
- 10th place: Daniel Yang
Top 25: Benjamin Dong, Dorian Kang, Eric Shen
Computer Science Competitions
1) International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI)
In 2021, three students from the Olympiads school were selected for the 4-member national team to represent Canada in the (online) IOI held in Singapore. They were:
- Silver Medal: Christopher Trevisan and Allen Pei
- Bronze Medal: Thomas Guo
2) Canadian Computing Olympiad (CCO)
In 2021, 24 students from Olympiads School were qualified to write the CCO. They achieved outstanding results in the CCO.
- Gold medals:
received by 4 students across Canada and three of them were from Olympiads School. They were Allen Pei (national team), Christopher Trevisan (national team), Thomas Guo (national team)
- Silver medals:
received by 12 students across Canada and eight of them were from Olympiads School. They were Andrew Dong, Anthony Fetelya, Victor Gao, Max Jiang, Maxwell Li, Eric Pei, Edward Xiao, Moses Xu
- Bronze medals:
received by 21 students across Canada and 13 of them were from Olympiads School. They were Marcus Chong, Maxwell Cruickshanks, Wangshu Jiang, Max Li, William Lin, Joshua Liu, Andrew Tam, Aaron Tang, Jonathan Uy, Ernest Wong, Johnson Wu, Mars Xiang, Kai Wen Yang
1) International Biology Olympiad Challenge (IBO Challenge)
In 2021, Olympiads School student Rico Dong was selected for the 4-member Canadian national team to participate in the IBO Challenge and received a silver medal.
2) Canadian Biology Olympiad (CBO)
In 2021, Olympiads School students achieved outstanding results in the CBO held online. Jessica Yu received 5th place; six more students were in the top 50 Honor Roll, they were Andrew Mao, Stephie Liu, Jayson Tian, Alexis Fang, Fiona Xu, and Eric Gong.
1) International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO)
In 2021, Olympiads School student Andy Cai was selected for the 4-member Canadian national team to participate in the IChO and received a silver medal.
2) Canadian Chemistry Olympiad (CCO)
In 2021, Olympiads School students achieved the following outstanding results in the CCO held in April:
- Gold: Andy Cai
- Silver: Linda Liu
- Bronze: Andreea Murariu, Samantha Ouyang, Catherine Liu, Emily Liu
Michael Smith Science Contest
In 2021, many Olympiads’ students achieved excellent results as well.
Two students were national winners:
- Helen Yin
- Yilin Liao.
In addition, the following students achieved top results in Ontario:
- Top 1%: Vincent Chen
- Top 3%: Andrew Zheng, Yuan Gao
- Top 10%: Elly Peng, Hazel Guo, Javier Huang, Ken Shibata, Legolas Zhang, Luke Pan, Maruti Singh, Molly Jin, Qi Xu, Yueqian Zhang, Bill Yan
1) World Schools Debating Championship (WSDC)
In 2021, two students from Olympiads School were selected for the 5-member team Canada, and one student was selected for the 3-member alternate team. They represented Canada in the WSDC held in Macau (online) and the Canadian team was crowned Champion.
- Team Canada
- Gaby Lin
- Angie Lei
- Alternate Team
- Randy Chang
2) Provincial Debating Tournaments
- Ontario Student Debating Union – 2021 Junior Provincial Debating Championships
- Champions Julian Zhang and Jason Fu
- 2nd Place Grace Liang
- 6th Place Karen Zhang
- 8th Place Errita Xu
- Top Speaker Grace Liang
- 2nd Speaker Jason Fu
- 4th Speaker Julian Zhang
- 8th Speaker Jin Zhou
- 9th Speaker Karen Zhang
- Ontario Student Debating Union – 2020 BP Championships
Senior Group (Top 8 qualify for the National BP Championship)
- Champion Claire Chen
- Finalists Andrew Shi
- Finalists Randy Chang and Justin Zhou
- 2nd Speaker Randy Chang
- 3rd Speaker Andrew Shi
- 4th Speaker Justin Zhou
- 6th Speaker Ed Yang
- 8th Speaker Claire Chen
- 8th Speaker Michael Chen
U15 Group (Top 5 qualify for the U15 National BP Championship)
- Champion Ethan Chiang
- Finalist Grace Liang
- Finalist Jin Zhou
- 2nd Speaker Jin Zhou
- 3rd Speaker Ethan Chiang
- 5th Speaker Grace Liang
For more Debating competition results, please click here.
1) Toronto Public Library Contest
In 2020, 4 students from Olympiads School entered the Toronto Public Library Contest. This is also the first time multiple Olympiads’ students’ work has been included in the contest’s gallery. They were Angela Luo, Dave Nguyen, Brooke Lai, Emma Cai.
2) Scholastic Art & Writing Awards 2020
- Gold Key: Yolanda Zuo, Science Fiction, The Rose
- Gold Key: Lynn Shibata, Flash Fiction, The Grey Cloud
- Silver Key: Amy Zhang, Flash Fiction, Catch and Release
- Honorable Mention: Amanda He, Flash Fiction, Star-Crossed
- Honorable Mention: Angela Luo, Science Fiction, The Bubble Room
- Honorable Mention: Angela Luo, Short Story, The Red Mask on Trefoil Road
- Silver Medal: Yolanda Zuo
Private School Application
SSAT Exams (In 2020/2021 Academic Year)
- Middle Level:
There were 24 students invited by University of Toronto Schools (UTS)
to attend stage two and 17 students scored more than 2000 in the SSAT exam.
- Upper Level:
There were 25 students invited by University of Toronto Schools (UTS)
to attend stage two and 25 students scored more than 2100 in the SSAT exam.